Staffers debate open-lunch policies 

Written by Chris McGlynn and Natalie Brennan

PRO by Chris McGlynn
Open lunch is a long awaited privilege granted to juniors and seniors at WHS.  However, there are few reasons to deny freshmen and sophomores of this privilege as well. Open lunch for all ages could solve the problem of overcrowded lunch rooms. This is the first year that WHS has had fourth period lunch.  It was created out of necessity to cope with the number of incoming students, and could be eliminated if students of all grades were able to go out for lunch. There would not be as much of a strain on capacity for the cafeterias, especially considering that next year’s Freshmen Class is anticipated to be the biggest ever at WHS.

Freshmen and sophomores would be unable to drive if they were granted open lunch, but juniors who have not turned 17 yet cannot drive anywhere either.  They would both be in the same situation, yet juniors are granted the privilege despite that limitation.  If the juniors are able to manage without driving, the underclassmen will be able to as well.  Students also do not necessarily need to go downtown to get lunch. If they live nearby they could walk home for lunch.
     Additionally, allowing the entire school the ability to go out would help build a sense of community in the school.  Underclassmen would have time to mingle with the older students in the school.Open lunch allows a little bit more freedom for students who deserve an escape from a long day. Being able to step outside the school walls for a little while helps relieve stress and enables students to make the most of their free time.
     There are rules in place about open lunch for a reason and they would work just as well for the underclassmen as they do for the upperclassmen.This is a change that should be considered at WHS, for practicality as well as equality.

CON by Natalie Brennan
     The privilege of open lunch is one that should only be given to juniors and seniors. Being able to go out for lunch is a rite of passage; it is something that needs to be earned, and something that underclassman have to look forward to.
     When freshmen come into the high school it is important that they build relationships. These relationships are strengthened and explored in the cafeteria. If the entire grade was to have the option to leave the school, it would take the relationship-building experience out of the cafeteria. Lunch is a time when you get to see new faces that you may not get to see in the classrooms.
     During freshman and sophomore year, it is still difficult to balance the workload as developing a work ethic is not something that happens overnight. During the first two years of high school, it is important to build a good worth ethic so that when you do have the privilege to go out to lunch, you will have a greater sense of time management. If the option to go out for lunch every day was there, it would be easier to fall into temptation. With freedom comes responsibility and such responsibility would be founded better if during the first two years of high school students were encouraged to use their free time in beneficial ways.
     Lastly, because students are not able to drive until their junior year, it would be very difficult for underclassmen to go out for lunch. With only 43 minutes, walking is not a practical option. Students would be able to go to lunch with an upperclassman but students that have their provisional licenses are only allowed to have one additional non-family member passenger in their car.  If two additional grades were added into the mix of kids who need rides to go out to lunch, the urge to break this rule would be even stronger.
     Ultimately, the privilege to go out to lunch is one that should be saved until junior and senior year when students are more responsible and able to drive.