Fall through the lens

By Jane Aronds
​Snap. Click. Zoom. Have a camera? A knack for photography? Now is your time to make history with the Westfield Historical Society’s second annual “Apple of My Eye” photography contest
According to the Westfield Historical Society, this contest gives students the chance to demonstrate their photography skills and is open for all Westfield students in grades 4-12.

Students are allowed to submit a maximum of three photos to the contest. The photos can be of landscape, people, animals or architecture and have urban, wild or remote settings.

“The contest is looking for…well-composed images in either black and white or color that demonstrate a unique way of seeing the world,” said Ms. Nina Ovryn of the Westfield Historical Society.

Said Art Teacher Mr. Roy Chambers: “The contest is looking for images to be of New Jersey and shot within the last two years. The contest is open and loose, in order to encourage students to exhibit their photography skills.

”Chambers also said that he believes the contest is a great way for student artwork to be disseminated among the community, “especially since WHS does not have a formal photography class.

”Prizes for this contest will be awarded for first, second and third place, and will be judged by J. Burleigh Morton, a professional photographer who graduated from WHS in 2006. An announcement and exhibition of winners will take place on Oct. 5 at the Reeve House in Westfield at the fifth annual Apple Fest, according to Ovryn.
For more information on Apple Fest or the photo contest, be sure to check out westfieldhistoricalsociety.org.