Westfield connects

by Abbie Goldring
Many students don’t look forward to the hour they spend with their tutors every week, learning tedious math problems or editing an essay. However, for Plainfield children at Stillman Elementary School, tutoring sessions are an opportunity for them to take advantage of this time spent with mentors. The Westfield-Plainfield Connection, a club at WHS, enables students to volunteer every Monday to tutor and socialize with these children.
​The club “gives students an opportunity to do some good and be there for some awesome little kids,” said Club Adviser Ms. Danielle Fletcher.

This year, a new aspect of the club called FIELDS, Future Instructors and Educational Leaders Developmental Society, will enable club members who are interested in pursuing a career in urban education to plan and teach a lesson to Plainfield students. The students will also shadow a Plainfield teacher and attend an awards ceremony in the spring, where they will receive a FIELDS Certificate and share their experiences.

Senior Molly Colvin said she wanted to participate because she taught in Plainfield for three summers, and thinks teaching in a more relaxed environment “can help [the students] grow.”

Aside from teaching, WHS club members help the children with their homework and play games with them. For their final meeting, they will organize a carnival for the Plainfield students, according to senior Co-President Allie Merkelson.

Junior Nicole Boretz said, “I feel good about myself knowing that I brighten up their normal school routines.”

Fletcher said, “This club provides an opportunity to foster better community relations between Westfield and Plainfield, which I think is really important. [It enables the students to] learn a little bit about another community that may give them [a] more worldly perspective.”

Senior Kayla Krasnoo said, “I was shocked to learn about some of the students’ home lives outside of the safe environment at school.”

Said Merkelson, “I feel accomplished knowing that spending two hours of my week with these students changes their lives.”