Walker resigns from BOE

by Liz Kuehn
​BOE President Julia Walker announced that she will resign from her position on Nov. 22. According to Walker, her decision to step down from the Board is due to the increasing demands of her job and to her desire to spend more time with her family.
​Walker has served on the BOE since 2003 and has been president since 2010, according to Superintendent Dr. Margaret Dolan. “Walker’s service to the district has been exceptional,” she said.

During her time serving on the BOE, Walker has been a member of various major committees, including finance, policies, long range planning, curriculum, facilities, negotiations team and ad hoc technology. She has also served as a liaison to the New Jersey School Board Association, the Union County School Board Association, Westfield Town Council, Parent Teacher Council, Wilson School and WHS, according to Dolan.

Said Dolan: “I don’t know if I could calculate how many hours Walker has devoted to serving the 6,300 students in the Westfield Public Schools. Throughout her years on the Board, I have admired and appreciated her intelligence, her determination, but above all her commitment to all of the students in the district.”

Walker said: “Each of those Tuesday nights when the Board would honor a group of students for their scholastic achievement or their athletic achievement or fine arts or extra-curricular excellence, made all of the work worth it. Westfield kids do amazing things.”

A replacement for BOE president has yet to be selected. Interim BOE Secretary Mr. Vincent Yaniro stated that the Board is responsible to vote for the new president within 65 days of the resignation.

Dolan said, “The members of the Board of Education will now work diligently to select an individual who possesses similar high standards to serve the students of Westfield.”

An interim BOE president will serve until April when an election for Board members will be held.
According to Walker: “It has been an honor and a privilege to serve on the Westfield Board of Education. I have learned so much and met so many smart and generous people. Westfield is a very special place to live and raise our children. So many people are willing to donate their time and talent for the betterment of the schools.”