Get your ‘Sex Education’ on Netflix

Back to Article
Back to Article

Get your ‘Sex Education’ on Netflix

Photo by Wikimedia Commons

Photo by Wikimedia Commons

Photo by Wikimedia Commons

Nicole Boutsikaris, R2 Op-Ed Editor

We´ve all had that moment when you’re watching a movie with your family and what seems like an innocent kiss amongst characters, turns into a full blown sex scene plastered across your sixty inch flat screen tv. You sit there awkwardly with your family, not knowing whether your should continue watching, cover your eyes, or awkwardly say that you suddenly had to go to the bathroom.  But we all need to become more comfortable with these situations as sex continues to be a more discussed and publicized issue, allowing the topic to become less taboo.

On Jan. 11, Netflix released its original series Sex Education, which discusses the trials and tribulations teens have during high school and the continued pressure teens are under to not only have sex, but to discover and understand their sexual identities. The British series works to normalize sex and reduce the stigma around both discussing and publicizing it.

Throughout the season, there are scenes and images of teens hooking up on the front lawn at school and in their bedrooms while their parents aren’t home. Although some might see the proliferation of sex throughout the show as inappropriate for teens to be watching, the show has a clear intent to expose the true realities of high school and teenagers’ lives.

The series extends beyond heterosexual couples by touching on the difficulties of sex and understanding sexual identities amongst the LGBTQ+ community. The show features Eric Effoing and his struggle navigating the social scenes of high school as a member of the LGBTQ+ community.

The series is not only directed towards teenagers, but parents as well. The show has a distinct target of parental viewing and encourages parents to openly discuss the matter with their children. The mother Jean Milburn (Gillian Anderson) of the show’s main character Otis (Asa Butterfield) is a sex therapist and she often attempts to talk to her son about his concerns with sex, despite his opposition. The show opens the door for parents to begin talking to their children about the subject and to make it less taboo.

These groundbreaking scenes work to destigmatize sex and encourage viewers to not be afraid to discuss sexual interactions. Sex Education is a symbol of the progressive nature of society today.