WHS golf team wins sectional title

Photo photo courtesy of Ryan Daly

WHS golf team wins the sectional final

On May 13, the WHS Boys Golf team won the North 2 Group 4 Sectional Tournament at Hawk Pointe Golf Club in Washington, NJ. Under a gloomy sky, WHS edged out rival Watchung Hills Regional High School by one stroke with a low score of 322.  

Sophomore Colin Summers led the way for the Blue Devils by placing third individually with a score of 77. Other top performers included sixth-place finishers: senior George Snell and junior Jason Lee who both shot 80, freshman Nicholas Conti who shot 85, and freshman Thomas Smith who shot 88.

“The story of the day was the weather. It was cold all day and it was dry for only six or seven holes,” Varsity Boys Golf Coach Ryan Daly said. “I am very proud of our team for staying dry and focused. We were able to survive the weather while other very good teams struggled.”

Winning a sectional team title is not an easy task. The Blue Devils, however, did just that and advanced to the Tournament of Champions (TOC) for the first time since 2008. The success of the team has a lot to do with the depth of talent on Westfield’s roster.

“The great thing about this team is that the depth allows our top guys to propel to new levels,” Daly said. “The competition within the team does not allow for complacency. Our team prepares very hard mentally and loves to practice.That is what makes them so good.”

Even after a difficult outing on May 20, the talented team still managed to tie for third place in NJSIAA Public Group 4 at the TOC. The total team score was 332: Snell shot 80, Lee shot 81, Summers shot 85, and Conti shot 86.