WHS spirit week

Photo by Canva.com
Infographic by Jessi Schlewitt

WHS’ spirit week will run from Nov. 25 to Nov. 27, concluding with the annual pep rally.  Each day of spirit week entails a different theme for students and faculty to dress up and show off their school pride. This year’s themes are America Monday, Team Tuesday and Westfield Wednesday. On the third day of spirit week, WHS will participate in the annual pep rally at Gary Kehler Stadium.

In past years, the pep rally has taken different forms. “The pep rally has been an event that was revised my sophomore year to be at Kehler. Before, it took place in front of the school, and before that, it took place after school with a parade that started at the train station,” said SGA President John Czarnecki.

The theme for this year’s pep rally is similar to an NFL Combine involving various tests of athletic skill. The grades will be competing in these events and the winning class will compete in a student-versus-teacher football game. According to SGA Advisor Kathleen Snyder, without a powderpuff game this year, the SGA decided to incorporate an alternative with the flag football game.

This year, the WHS pep rally will start with a parade down Rahway Avenue to Kehler,” said Czarnecki. “The clubs will then parade around the track at Kehler and the combine events will begin.” The cheer team and band will be performing between the activities.   

With the three spirit days preceding the awaited pep rally, the SGA hopes to foster communal unity. “Our goal is to promote school spirit and get as many students involved as possible,” said Czarnecki.