Float on over to Club Day

This year, the WHS Student Government Association (SGA) introduced a new policy: Clubs and sports teams that want a table during Club Day today must participate in the new and improved Homecoming parade that’s occurring before the Powder Puff game on Nov. 22.
The idea of this year’s parade is that the entire student body marches down Rahway Avenue to Kehler Stadium to watch the Powder Puff game, with clubs and sports teams walking down the middle of the street and around the track, laden with banners, floats and flags as a means of promoting both themselves and school spirit.
When we first heard about the policy, we were upset over its regulations. We thought it was unfair to force clubs into doing something they might not want to do, and feared that the policy was discriminatory against clubs that don’t have many extroverted members. A fair number of clubs are refraining from participating in Club Day even though they’ve done it in the past because they didn’t discuss it before the deadline or they are apprehensive about marching in front of everyone.
But as adamant as we initially were against the policy, we changed our minds after giving it some thought.
All the SGA is trying to do is raise school spirit, an aspect of WHS that many agree is lacking. What little spirit we do show is only at more widely-known sporting events with a strong win streak, such as football and soccer. We aren’t saying that we don’t appreciate the sports-focused spirit, but WHS is defined by more than just athletics.
The parade is the ideal opportunity to show what WHS is about, for the student body to recognize and support overlooked clubs, and to showcase members’ creativity.
“It’s a win-win-win situation for everyone,” said junior Brianna Hatch, SGA vice president. “Clubs can recruit and advertise, sports can show their school spirit and all members can be recognized for their accomplishments.”
While the SGA lays the groundwork for a successful event, it’s up to the students to put in the effort. “People always complain about the pep rally, but if they try to have a positive outlook on it then it’ll be fun,” said junior Emma Herber, SGA treasurer. “There’s only so much we can do, so it’s up to them to make it fun.”
Herber is right. It’s ultimately up to us as to what kind of school—spirited or not—we want to have. While many are aware of the lack of school spirit, we’re not doing anything about it, and it doesn’t help that we criticize any effort the SGA makes toward resolving the issue. We have to want to improve, or we’re always going to struggle to have an enthusiastic and involved student body.
So, to the clubs and sports teams that are partaking: We can’t wait to see what you’ve done for the parade to represent both your club and WHS.
And as for the clubs that decided not to participate: We get it. It’s difficult to put yourself out there. We just hope to see you marching down Rahway Avenue next year.