WHS students create virtual tutoring services

As with everything else that the coronavirus has changed in our lives, the transition to online school has left teachers, students and tutors unable to meet in person. With this, the Police Athletic League (P.A.L.) tutoring program had to modify how they offer their services during this time.  

This predicament prompted WHS senior Ian Gurland to create a student-led virtual help desk with his brothers Russel (freshman) and Nathaniel (sophomore) so that students can communicate and work through online schooling more easily with another student. Gurland said he found himself helping his younger siblings navigate the virtual learning process, specifically using Zoom for teacher meetings, and that this might be a good thing for other students as well. 

We thought maybe we could create a virtual help desk, student to student, Gurland said. Gurland thought connecting as peers rather than student to teacher would create a more relaxed and comfortable experience.  

With the idea in motion, Ian and his brothers Russell and Nathaniel volunteered and asked if other students could help. National Honor Society students and their advisor, Math Teacher Scott Rutherford, stepped up right away. 

“NHS has always helped out with P.A.L. tutoring, but now we are trying to keep people connected virtually,” said Rutherford. “It serves as a way for people to connect with others, which I think people are needing…I give the Gurlands a lot of credit for stepping up to help others right now.  It speaks volumes about their character.” 

Gurland noted that “We know teachers and administrators are going above and beyond to help students continue to feel a sense of connectivity. I suppose, in part, that lesson inspired us.” 

The virtual help desk operates via Zoom every Monday from 1-3 p.m., with the option to go into private breakout rooms with an NHS volunteer. Assistant Principal Warren Hynes put the zoom link for the help desk (https://zoom.us/j/347572237) in an email shared with the school community. Additionally, students can reach out to the virtual help desk at any time at [email protected].  

While the virtual help desk is designed to relieve academic stresses in this new learning environment, Gurland’s overarching message is that “We will get through this together!”