One Book campaign kicks off

On Nov. 2, the WHS Diversity Committee hosted a discussion in the high school’s library to talk about Warren St. John’s book Outcasts United, which tells the story of a soccer team made up of young refugee boys in a small town outside Atlanta. In addition to the book talk, two refugee families (profiled on this page) visited to share their experiences in America today.
There were about 30 discussion participants in attendance, including students, parents, teachers and Westfield community members. Most of the students came from Ms. Michelle Stumbers’ AP European History class, and many were mesmerized by the book.
“When I originally decided to read Outcasts United, I was only concerned with getting extra credit for my class,”  said senior Kayla Rinn. “I realized this was more than just extra credit.”
Ms. Lesley Cora, WHS educational media specialist and chair of the Diversity Committee, said: “I hope our students will learn to put themselves in the place of others and have empathy. Can you imagine leaving your home and everything you have to start from nothing in a strange country and how difficult that would be?”
There will be another book-club meeting on Nov. 30 in the library from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. In addition to a discussion of the book’s second half, WHS Math Teacher Ms. Zorana Culjak and her husband, Mr. Darko Culjak, will share their experiences as war refugees.
Culjak is a refugee from Bosnia who came to America when she was 21 in order to flee the civil war in her country. She will discuss this and her adjustment to life in America on Nov. 30.