Captain Q & A: Boys Soccer

Photo courtesy of Varsity Vantage

WHS soccer co-captains (pictured left to right) Max Rokhsar and Ryan Friedberg

Last year, the WHS boys soccer team went 6-2 in a shortened eight-game season due to COVID-19. With this season already underway, as of Hi’s Eye print deadline, the team currently has a record of 3-2. Senior captains Ryan Friedberg and Max Rokhsar spoke about their time playing WHS soccer and how the team looks to leave its mark this season.

How has this season differed from last year as restrictions ease?

MR: Last year was devastating when all fall sports were shut down in the middle of our season. This year I am grateful to be back on the field with all my teammates and have the chance to compete for a county title for the final time.

RF: This year we have been able to play together a lot more and early. We had a full pre-season, and it has really helped us prepare for the year.

What is it like playing in front of crowded student sections again?

MR: Nothing is better than playing in front of your student section. It is awesome to see all your friends from school come to support you. Hearing the chants from the student section and the music blasting from the speakers encourages me to give it my all.

RF: Playing in front of a packed crowd is electric. It brings another element to the game that many players have to adjust to. I personally love playing when there’s big crowds as it really gets you going and it adds that extra pressure to play well.

What has been your favorite memory playing for the WHS soccer team?

MR: My favorite memory playing for WHS soccer was our late night game against Scotch Plains that went into penalties. Taking part in the penalty shootout as a freshman and winning the game was definitely a highlight I will never forget.

RF: My favorite memory was winning the counties as a freshman.

What are your goals for the team this season? 

MR: My goals for this season are to get our team back to the county finals and continue on to states.

RF: We want to win everything this year. The conference, county and especially states. We believe we can be the best, but we definitely still have work to do to get there.

How do you prepare for games? Do you have any rituals?

MR: To prepare for games, I visualize winning tackles, dribbling the ball forward and creating chances. I often take the time before games to analyze our opponent and watch film. In the locker room, I always listen to my pregame playlist as I wrap my ankles.

RF: For me, especially as a goalkeeper, the mental side of the game is extremely important. Before games, I will watch tons of film on the opposing team, and make sure we plan [our] style of play around that.